Churches

Churches

The Reformed Church in the Citadel

Built inside a Franciscan monastery, the first document that mentions this church dates from 1332. The entire monastery complex was finished by the 1450s, becoming the largest and most important Franciscan settlement in Transylvania. It could accommodate 1200 parishioners and it was authorized by the Pope to organize pilgrimages. Following the religious reform initiated by Martin Luther in the 16th century, most of the population in Tg.-Mureș converted from Catholicism to the reformed religions. As a result, the Franciscan community was expelled from the city centre and the monastery and church in the fortress came into the possession of the Reformed Church, to which it belongs today. 

Learn more

Church of Saint John the Baptist

The Jesuit monks arrived in Tirgu Mures, thanks to the mission of the churches in Vienna, and built a church similar to the churches in Rome. The church plan is rectangular. The main ship is joined by 3-3 chaps on the side. The altar is right, sitting in the middle surrounded by a sacristy and chapel, being orthodox and galleries at the upper level. In the basement of the church, under the chapels, there is a crypt where several important people of the Catholic community are buried. The Parish Building was known as the monastery of the Jesuit monks. The building deserves special attention due to the fact that it is among the few buildings built in the 17th century. Here is the oldest text on the wall of an edifice in the city.

Learn more

Ascension Orthodox Cathedral

The unification of Transylvania with Romania following the First World War had immediate consequences on the organization of the Orthodox Church in the principality. In 1925, a law is being enacted to strengthen religious unity throughout the country. Also during this period a real campaign for the construction of ecclesiastical edifices in Transylvanian urban centers is started, in order to correspond to the true numerical situation of the Orthodox communion. Proof of the flourishing of the Romanian-Orthodox spirituality after 1918 are the imposing churches built in Cluj Napoca, Alba-Iulia, Timișoara and Târgu-Mureș. This Cathedral is the first building in the center of Targu Mures erected from Romaian fonds, in an ambience dominated by Austro-Hungarian Empire’s architectural style. On the right is the Roman Catholic Church, built by Jesuit monks in Baroque-style, and on the left side are the Köpeczi Tamás House, the "House on the bows", the Apollo Palace and the Tower of the Franciscan Church, demolished due to the construction of the National Theater. Observing the historical evolution of the city over the centuries, it is obvious that the rise of this church is a symbolic act that confirms the political, social and religious reality after the Great Union. Source: cultura.inmures.ro

Learn more

Annunciation Cathedral

The Annunciation Cathedral in Târgu Mureş, known also as the Small Cathedral is located in the city center, next to the mayor's office. Its size is not reflecting a small cathedral, but rather a larger chapel. Built in 1926-1936, the church was designed in the style of St. Peter's Basilica in Rome, and also named after. It was consecrated on September 8, 1936. In 1948, the communist regime banned the Greek Catholic Congregation, so the church was received by the Greek Orthodox. The Romanian Greek Catholic Church has repeatedly requested the return of the building, but this has not yet happened

Learn more

Unitarian church - Târgu Mureș

The Unitarian Church in Bolyai Square is a neo-Gothic style building built between 1929-1930 in the city of Târgu Mureş. The building plans were made by Kálmán Patrovits and the builder was Dezső Bustya. In 1930, the church was sanctified by the Bishop of the Church of Unitarians from Transylvania, Dr. György Boros.After the completion of the construction, the former constructor donated the pipe organ to the church, which is still used today in the worship place.Source: wikipedia

Learn more

Status Quo Ante Synagog - Târgu Mureș

The Synagogue Status Quo Ante is a place of worship for the Jewish community in Târgu Mureş , first certified in 1682. The Jewish population played an important role in the city's development . The Jews were industrialists, publishers, merchants, doctors, bankers, lawyers, teachers, and small craftsmen. The construction initiative was initiated by the Jewish community "Status Quo", detached from the Orthodox community of Transylvanian Jews in the nineteenth century. Eclectically styled, it is remembered as the largest synagogue in Transylvania. It has a large central tower with rosettes and the octagonal lateral turrets staring at David's Star. On the facades of the two small towers there is a floral rosette . The synagogue was not only a place of prayer, but also a meeting place for the Jewish community in the city. The inauguration took 3 days and 3 nights. Inside the building is the Jewish Community Museum in the city.

Learn more

The Church On The Hill - Sighișoara

Learn more

Monastery Church - Sighișoara

It is certified for the first time in 1298. Other mentions appear on the occasion of donations made to the monastery. In the middle of the 16th century, when the Saxons passed to reform, it became a parochial church of the Saxon community. In 1550 the church became the center of operations of the town hall. The monastery was completely demolished for the construction of the prefecture of Târnava Mare County. The interior of the church is dominated by architectural elements and artistic furniture specific to the early Baroque period, represented by the pillars and vaults of the ships, the highly loaded altar, the skylights, the canopy pantry, the painted organ, the painted balustrades and the oriental carpets that adorn the interior of the church. Inside the church is the bronze crown, cast in the 15th century. The baptismal font is the oldest piece in the church. The church has 39 Anatolian carpets, most of them since 17th century. Carpets are donations made by wealthy merchants, the oldest guilds of the guild, the patrician of the city.

Learn more

Fortified Church - Saschiz

It is built between 1493-1525 in late Gothic style. The church had a double function - a fortification and a church. The church becomes the example of a whole series of fortified churches in the center and south of Transylvania - the reduced churches. In 1493 the inhabitants receive tax exemptions aid as well from the Saxon University. Between 1503-1507 the church granted indulgences. The church choir, the ship and the 22 buttresses were built at once. The current configuration is due to the restoration of the 18th century. The church choir kept the windows worked in Late Gothic style. The vault of the choir is restored and receives the Baroque look, and the ship is undergoing changes. The facade of the church leans on buttresses retreats that are supported by arches. The defense floor is expended evenly throughout the church over the vaults. The parapet is equipped with 40 shooting holes, and at the lower level, behind the arches between the counterforts, the fuel oil openings are unlocked. The Tabernacle is made of stone in the Gothic style from 1500. The Baptismal font has its foot made of 16th century tiles, the cover has Turkish influences. The door of the sacrifice was worked in 1500. The door of the sacrifice was made in 1578. The altar is worked in Baroque style in 1735 and the paintings date since 1820. The wooden sides are from 1500. The painted tiles of the other side have been painted in the 17th century, partially restored. The pulpit is worked in Baroque style, the 18th century. The current organ is worked in 1786 at Brasov.

Learn more

Reformed church - Sângeorgiu de Pădure

The construction period of the reformed church built in the Gothic style is supposed to be the end of the 1200s. Throughout the time, the church has undergone several changes, renovations, until it has acquired its present form. Such renovation took place between 1758-1760, when, through the Baroness Wesselényi Kata, the wife of Count Rhédey Zsigmond, the ceiling became cassette, the church was restored both inside and outside, and the church received pulp and crown pulpit. During this period the church gallery was made, and then the fresco is painted with the Wesselényi family coat of arms on the sanctuary ceiling. The major renovation in 1935 was done through the donation of the Queen of England, Victoria Mary. Under the church there is a crypt, built, where the Countess Claudia Rhédey is buried.

Learn more

Roman-catholic church - Reghin

The representative church as a style for the late Baroque was built during Empress Maria Theresa and finalized in 1781. The 12 stained-glass windows that replace the old windows depict outstanding personalities of the Hungarian people, kings and saints.

Learn more

Reformed church - Reghin

Built in 1890, the reformed church on the Mihai Viteazu str. Nr. 51, according to the plans of the architect Alpár Ignác holds valuable pieces such as the pulpit, the canopy, the furniture from the altar and the sides. A special element is the cassette ceiling on which Transylvanian churches are represented. made by plastic artist Molnár Dénes, there is a choral music festival organized here.

Learn more

Saxon church - Reghin

The Evangelical Church, the oldest building in the city, dates back to 1330, as evidenced by the earliest Latin inscription in Latin in Transylvanian Middle Ages. Monument with many valuable architectural elements such as the statue of a Gothic window from 1400 decorated with anthropomorphic figures, unique consoles in Transylvania that tell about a treasure hidden in the church, the first coat of arms of the city with the inscription of OPR attesting Reghin's privilege to hold fairs. The 47-meter tower with the four turrets attests Reghin's right of trial. Organ concerts supported by the world's most illustrious organists make classical music ring annually in the evangelical church.

Learn more

Wooden church - Reghin

The wooden church of Reghin, built from non-varnished wood beams (1744), were the scholar Petru Maior ministered between 1785-1808, which is a proof of art craftsmanship and of rural traditional art, is characterized by its unique plan of the five sided apse.It has been renovated during the years 1760, 1857, 1957, 1982. Into the altar are paintings of folk/popular nature and temple (iconostasis) icons from 1857. The curch has 15 meters length, 6 meters width and 14 meters height. The wooden church is on the new list of the historical monuments.Inside, the mural painting from the altar apse performed around the year 1791, is signed by ”Toader zugravul (the painter)”. Stylistically speaking, the painting can be framed in the romanian byzantine tradition, also having a strong influence of local folk/popular art. It is known that Toader zugravul (the painter) was influenced by the Feisa School.There is no fee for visitors, access can be made daily, the preist is also the guide of the church.

Learn more

Franciscan monastery - Călugăreni

The inscription that can be seen on the western façade of the church consecrated to king St. Stephen (1678) marks the date of the ending of construction. Under the southern, St. Francis side altar the double crypt of friars and aristocratic families supporting the church can be found. On the wall and pillars of the nave plaques of prominent friars, of the Torma family from Csicsókeresztúr/ Cristeștii Ciceului, as well as that of the Count Bornemisza family can be seen. From the perspective of the history of education it is important that from 1669 on, for more than a century, there operated a secondary school in the monastery, and when it was moved to Târgu Mureş, its place was taken over by a primary school.

Learn more

Unitarian church - Nyárádszentlászó

The Unitarian church, covered with shingles and surrounded with a board fence is a precious monument. It bears the features of both Romanesque and Gothic style. Its oldest part is the sanctuary oriented towards the east, with a window from the Romanesque age. The stone door frame of the western entrance and the door leading from the sacristy to the ground floor space of the tower is Gothic. The nave with unpainted board ceiling gained its current form in the course of reconstruction at the end of the 15th and at the beginning of the 16th centuries. The tower also originates from this period. Originally the northern wall surface of the nave was decorated with a painting series of the Saint Ladislaus legend, but this was destroyed during the major repairing in the mid-18th century and due to the cutting of new windows. In the period 2009-2015 in the Transylvanian context especially valuable murals were explored in the Gothic sanctuary. The scene unknown so far may supposedly represent a crucifixion; its technique and style differs from, is earlier than the Late Gothic murals of the sanctuary. The restoration work was supported by the Rómer Flóris Project and was carried out by restorer Lóránd Kiss. The defence role of the square-shaped tower is indicated by the fact that it has no entrance from the outside. In the vaulted room under the tower the grave of landlord Mátyás Sigér, deceased in 1586, can be found. As regards the interior furnishing of the church, a bench from 1694 is worth mentioning, the front part of which is painted, as well as the pulpit “crown” and Lord’s table, commissioned by Judith Simén in 1784. The organ was made in 1841 from Klára Sárosi’s donation. The nave is covered with tiles, the sanctuary and the tower are covered with shingles. The 450 kg big bell was cast in 1498, and the 120 kg small bell was donated to the parish by Mózes Adorjan in 1925.

Learn more

Ortodox wooden church - Nadășa

Görgénynádas/Nadăşa, famous for its highly valuable monument church, is situated southeast from Szászrégen/Reghin, 12 km from the town, along the 153-county road, 400 m above sea level. The village administratively belongs to Alsóbölkény/Beica de Jos. The time of building the wooden church consecrated to Saint Nicholas is dated to 1712. According to a surviving inscription, the church was built in time of starvation, when people ate hawthorn, hazelnut and elm bark in order to survive. The small church with a wooden tower, covered with shingles, figures in the record of monuments under no. LMI: MS-II-m-A-15733. Its wooden entrance gate also forms part of the monument.

Learn more

The wooden church in Târgu Mureș

The wooden church 'Saint Archangel Michael' was built between 1793-1794, being the oldest Orthodox church in Târgu Mureș. It has a simple rectangular plan with a pentagonal apse and a shingle roof. The bell tower has a large and a smaller bulb, and the iconostasis and interior paintings were made in 1814 by the craftsmen Bon Vasile and Popa Nicolae. The history of this church is linked to an episode in the life of Romanian poet Mihai Eminescu, who spent a night in the bell tower of the church in 1866, at the age of 16, on his way to Blaj, a fact that was later mentioned in one of his poems.

Learn more

The Orthodox Monastery of Recea

The Recea Monastery was founded in 1991, the architecture of the monastery being typically Romanian. In 1995 the foundation stone for the church dedicated to the Nativity of the Mother of God was laid, and by 2003 the nuns' cells, the entrance patio and even a library, a museum and a music room were built. The architecture of the monastery harmoniously combines several building styles, including the Romanian style from Wallachia, the Moldavian style, the Byzantine style and the Brâncovenesc style. The big church is built in the shape of a cross, being divided into three parts (porch, pronaos, nave and altar), with three towers, one large one on the nave and two smaller ones on the pronaos. Recea Monastery is the only monastery in Europe whose interior is entirely made of mosaic - it is estimated that 12.000 kg of mosaic were used for the entire church.

Learn more

The Fortified Church of Băgaciu

In the village of Băgaciu, first documented in 1351, there is a fortress from the 15th century, surrounding a church from 1420. The enclosure wall has three defensive towers and a gate tower, which resisted attacks by Turks, Tartars and Kuruts. Built on the site of an old basilica, the church impresses with its size and ornamentation. Inside, the East and West portals are adorned with valuable sculptures, considered to be among the finest stone works in Transylvania, fragments of the old wall paintings depicting the Apocalypse are still preserved on the North wall, and the choir stalls, executed in 1533 by Johannes Reychmuth, are among the most valuable in Transylvania. In addition to the organ built by the famous Samuel Metz in 1804, the eroded drollery, which seems to protrude from the ceiling and watches over the choir, is also impressive. In the village of Băgaciu you can still admire old houses dating back to 1773.

Learn more

The Reformed Church of Bâra

In Nirajul Mic Valley, in the village of Bâra, a church of important historical value, dedicated to the Holy Cross, stands on the hill of the village. The Reformed church of Bâra was built in 1385, displaying both Gothic and Romanesque elements. According to the Transylvanian ethnographer Balázs Orbán, the church's large bell weighs 15 quintals (1.5 tons) and the most beautiful sound in the whole region. During the restoration works in 2001, murals were found in the nave that was rebuilt in the 18th century and four fragments of runic script were found on the second floor of the tower. The crypt beneath the church was walled in in 1621, and fragments of a true chronicle from the 16th century, with important events in the region, can still be seen on the whitewashed walls of the sanctuary, such as the locust invasion, Queen Izabella's journey, the Transylvanian plague or the fall of the town of Szigetvár in Hungary.

Learn more

The Gothic Reformed Church of Eremieni

The Gothic church of Eremieni is believed to have been built by the people who settled here in the 13th century, in honour of Prince Saint Emeric of Hungary. The monument stands on a small hill overlooking the village. During the religious Reform in the 16th century, the interior of the church was remodelled as the congregation became Reformed. The decorative boxes covering the ceiling disappeared from the church in the early 1900s, as did the stellar vault in the sanctuary. The ornate pulpit dates from 1758, while the wooden ornament on the altar table and the marble slab with inscriptions were donated by the poet and pastor Lajos Megyesi and his wife in 1804. Despite the losses, the church still retains its typical Gothic features: the church windows, buttresses, entrance, etc. The walls were decorated with frescoes, but most of these have been destroyed by centuries of corrosion and repeated layers of lime. Two fragments of frescoes depicting the crucifixion of Jesus have been restored. The church tower was built in the 19th century as a wooden structure, which is still in very good condition.

Learn more

Archita - fortified church

As soon as you enter the village tucked between the gentle hills near Sighisoara, you will notice the main attraction: the fortified evangelical church in the centre of the village, the largest fortified church in Mureș county. Built in the 13th century as a Romanesque basilica, the church was rebuilt in Gothic style in the following century. It is impressive by the complexity and size of its fortifications, being surrounded by two walls with three corner towers and a massive western tower added in the late 15th century. Today, the church is open for visitors, thanks to restoration works in 2011, and since 2020 the clock has also been restored, which now chimes over the village nestled between the hills.

Learn more

Cloașterf - Fortified Church

At Cloașterf we discover the Saxon village of Mures county, whose fortified church is one of the most compact in Transylvania. This is mainly due to the continuity of its construction, between 1521 and 1524, by a single builder: the master Ștefan Ungar, from Sighișoara. The building was conceived from the design stage as a fortified church, with murder holes between the buttresses. It had to withstand an attack with firearms. It is surrounded by a defensive wall, which forms an enclosure, with corner towers and a lectern roof. The parapets of the 18th century three-side gallery inside the church are decorated with floral motifs and paintings illustrating different fortified churches. 

Learn more

Apold - Fortified Church

Situated 16 km from Sighisoara, the fortified evangelical church of Apold has been standing on the hill in the centre of the village of the same name - Apold (Trappold/ger., Apold/hun.) since the 13th century, when it was a Romanesque basilica. In the following period, the church was rebuilt in late Gothic style, with an imposing western tower dating from the 15th century. The final appearance of the whole complex was completed in the 15th-16th centuries. The clock tower was raised and provided with murder holes, and a defensive gallery was built above the chancel. For defensive purposes, the church was enclosed by a double wall system, reinforced with towers and bastions, each wall with a gate tower.Sebastian BethgeTel: +40 722 208 495Visiting hours:May-September: Monday-Friday, 10:00-12:00Guides in German, English and Romanian

Learn more

The Evangelical Fortified Church - Daneș

The construction of the fortified church in Daneș started in 1506, in late Gothic style, without a tower. However, a tower was built much later, in 1927, on the west side of the church. Only a segment of the original church wall remains on the south side and a tower with a small watchtower. Inside, the pulpit and the baptistery date from the Baroque period, the altar from 1878 and the organ from 1920. The church vault was built in 1868. Although the town of Daneș has been ravaged by war, famine and fire over the centuries, Christian services in the small fortified church, which began in the 16th century, are still held regularly today, as they always have been.

Learn more
The Evangelical Church Batos

The Evangelical Church in Batoș

The existence of a church in the village can be inferred due to documentation of the payment of papal tributes as early as the first half of the 14th century, and the sanctuary that we can admire today confirms its existence no later than the second half of the same century. By its size, we can interpret the strength of the Batoș community at that time. 

Learn more

This website uses cookies

We use cookies to improve functionality and performance. Please accept them for a better use of the page. Read more: Privacy Policy

background-image-for-checkout-overlay