Castles - Fortresses

Castles - Fortresses

Medieval Citadel of Sighișoara

The Fortress of Sighisoara is part of the UNESCO heritage since 1999 - it is the only inhabited fortress in Europe. It is a living city, attracting more and more tourists every year.In the first half of the 14th century Sighisoara was a fortified settlement with urban character,  and also the center and the seat of an administrative and legal unit: one of the seven seats subordinated Sibiu. Sighisoara is mentioned as "civita" in 1367, alongside Cluj and Sibiu.Sighisoara develops as a powerful manufacturing center, finalizing its administrative organization of the city and the seat according to a document from 1393, which mentions the participation of the priest and craftsmen in leadership. The city becomes a powerful commercial center, the number of guilds is constantly increasing, making Sighisoara one of the most powerful craft centers in Transylvania.

Learn more

Medieval Citadel Târgu Mureș

Built in the 17th century, the present citadel was erected on the site of an older fortification, from 1492, which belonged to Báthori István, the voivode of Transylvania. It was destroyed when the Habsburg troops of general Georgio Basta entered the town, in 1601. A year later, during the mandate of mayor Borsos Tamás reconstruction works began, in a pentagonal shape, with 7 bastions, 5 of which were built by the strongest guilds in town at that time (the tailors, the coopers, the furriers, the shoemakers and the butchers), being interconnected by 10 meter high walls and surrounded by a 10m wide and 8m deep moat. Today the citadel has been completely renovated and it represents an important attraction for both the locals, and the tourists. 

Learn more

Rhédey Castle - Sângeorgiu de Pădure

Commemorative exhibition dedicated to the flooded village of Bezidu Nou About 6 km from the town of Sângeorgiu de Pădure was once the village of Bezidu Nou. In the present, this locality does not exist, being under water, as a victim of the communist regime. The commemorative exhibition in the Rhédey Castle is dedicated to this village. When you enter this room, you have 5 minutes to read the history of the village and look at the exposed objects, belonging to the people of Bezidu Nou. After 5 minutes the lights are turned off and a day of the village's life is played. In the middle of the room there is the satchel layout, in white color because we are talking about a non-existent locality, and above it suspended the ground plan of the lake.On one of the walls there are six pillars, representing the six religions that co-existed in this locality, and on each one is engraved their way of greeting.  The permanent painting exhibition Datu Victor This exhibition in Rhedey Castle invites us to the world of the painter Datu Victor, who at the age of 84, is one of the supporters of cubism in Romania and one of the most original painters in Mures. Victor Datu was born on 13 June 1932 in Sângeorgiu de Pădure and is still a real artistic presence in the local and national exhibitions. In his work you find the contrast between the new and the example of art in the past, you find the association between the restlessness of new initiatives and the calm of tradition, but also the respect for the professional attitude. 

Learn more

Bethlen Castle - Criș

The Bethlen castle built in Renaissance-style dates back to the 15th century. The main building and the circular bastion were built around a courtyard with a square plan. It is one of the most beautiful examples of the Transylvanian Renaissance dwelling and defense architecture with gothic elements found in the castles chapel. The premises owned by the Bethlen family is currently in use by the Dévai Szent Ferenc Foundation.

Learn more

Peasant Fortress - Saschiz

The main enclosure of the fortress, supported with three towers, was built in the early decades of the fifteenth century, expanding until the seventeenth century by extending the surface and the number of towers. The fortress was functional until the 20th century. The fortress dominates the surroundings and has good visibility to the main roads and sidewalks. It is assumed that this fortress was built by the association of seven villages - Saschiz, Cloasterf, Archita, Daia, Criz, Diawaldia and Adamsdorf (the last two missing today). If needed, the inhabitants of the 7 villages have earned the right to shelter in. The fortress had six towers (four corners and two gates): the Guard Tower, which does not exist anymore, the Entrance Tower, Priests Tower, Landowners Tower, the Powders Tower and the Schools Tower- all united by a walkway which goes along the defense wall. Between the towers along the walls were built pantries for supplies. On the north and south side, were built houses to be used by refugees.

Learn more

Teleki Castle - Gornești

Was built in Grassalkowich style, according to the Mayerhoffer architect's plans between 1771-1778, on the site of a former medieval fortress, on the order of the new owner, Mihai Teleki. Its 52 rooms and 365 windows, symbolizing the weeks and days of the year, are the charm of the castle. The castle plan is U-shaped with a high central dome above the main reception room. The decoration of the facades is simple, except for the central pavilion, which is decorated with pillars with ionic caps and arch windows with rococo ornaments, with another oval-shaped window above each. The most beautiful part of the castle is the upper floor salon, where the original wall cladding, two Rococo white porcelain stoves and three chandeliers were preserved. The castle park was inspired by the French at first, in order to turn it into an inspired one from the English culture from the 19th century. In the castlepark  11 statues were added, that are divided into two categories: 7 sculptures representing deities of Antiquity, 4 representing satirized human types from french history. In 1949 the ensemble was nationalized, and in 1956, after a tuberculosis epidemic, it was turned into a TBC Preventorium for children. Tha castle was retroceded in 2006, but only came into possession of the Teleki family in 2011 and was introduced into the tourist circuit.From September 13 until the first of November the Teleki castle will only be open during the weekends. Guided visits are schedule at the castle (duration 30-45 minutes):From the first of July, 2021 the castle will be open open everyday except on Tuesday (exception for pre-registered groups)10:00 - 11:00 - 12:00 - 13:00 - 14:00 - 15:00 - 16:00 -17:00

Learn more

Royal hunting castle - Lăpușna

Learn more

Rákóczi-Bornemisza castle - Gurghiu

13 km from Reghin, in the center of Gurghiu commune, right at the foot of the Citadel Hill, we find the Rákóczi-Bornemisza Castle ensemble. The beginnings of the castle are found during Prince Gheorghe Rákóczi I (1593-1648), who wanted to make a more accessible residence during the hunting parties to which he often participated in the Gurghiu Mountains. In 1717 he is concessioned to Vice-Chancellor Ioan Bornemisza and his descendants for the next 99 years. The Bornemisza family is investing in the field who manages to start up new buildings around the castle. At the moment, the Rákóczi-Bornemisza Castle is in the custody of the Mureş County Museum. Every year, with the occasion of "Open Doors Day" are organized museum pedagogy workshops, where participants have the opportunity to discover the history of the castle. Within the castle yard you can visit the dendrological park, established in 1740 by the Bornemisza family. Inside the park there are over 350 rare tree species, of which over 100 are exotic trees brought from other countries. The park offers its visitors a good opportunity to relax in a natural ambience, and to those who are botanical enthusiasts the opportunity to improve their knowledge.

Learn more

Kemény Castle - Brâncovenești

The castle from Brâncoveneşti was built, in the first phase, from the royal initiative in the 13th century from the ruins of a former roman camp. It received the Renaissance form following some works started in 1537 and finalized in 1555, from the same period dating back also the frames of the Renaissance windows. Over the years the castle, had several owners including: Bethlen Gábor, Gheorghe Rakoczi I, Gheorghe Rakoczi II, the latter, donating the field of five villages to Kemény János. In the next three centuries, the domain was owned by the Kemény family. Initiated by Kemény Miklós, in 1816 the castle underwent new modifications made by Möller István, when the big bastion was added too. The castle was nationalized on March 2, 1949, being used as a prison, correction school and neuropsychiatric rehabilitation and rehabilitation center. At the end of September 2014, the castle returned in the possession of the Kemény family,now being open to the public. There is a park around the castle where the Helikon Table is located, a monument carved in 1935 in the memory of Kuncz Aladar.Opening HoursTuesday – Friday: 10.00 a.m. – 5.00 p.m.Saturday – Sunday 9.00 a.m. – 18 p.mMonday: closed The entrance ticket fee is a donation for the maintenance and rehabilitation of the castle (includes guided tour of the castle and the park)Adult: 15 Lei  Child: 7 leiEntrance park - Adult: 8 Lei   Child: 4 lei 

Learn more

Balintitt Castle - Ernei

The Bálintitt Castle, built in the Neo-Baroque style in the 18th century, is located in the village of Ernei, 12 km away from Târgu Mureş. In 1946 the castle underwent some modifications, its northern wing was demolished, so the U-shaped building takes the form of "L", losing its initial symmetry. The castle park is on the hill next to the building, today only its remains can be seen. The pool in the middle of the giant park somedays was decorated with many flowers and trees, and it was full of boats.

Learn more

Ugron castle - Zau de Câmpie

Between Luduş and Sarmas, on the hill above the village of Zau de Câmpie, you can find the Ugron Castle, beautiful even in its neglected condition.The building is currently owned by the County Council of Mures. The former owner, even at the time of nationalization, was István Ugron.The castle was built by the former diplomat István Ugron, who served as a consul for the Austro-Hungarian monarchy for 32 years in several places, such as New York, Russia, Warsaw and Bucharest.After World War I, he decided to end his career and settle in Transylvania. He did not have a family, although stories were told about a French lady from Loire, but even about the daughter of the Russian Tsar he would have married and brought to the new castle. He was 46 years old in 1908, when he began the construction of the castle, he wanted to have a modern and beautiful home.Finished in 1912, the castle is the last copy of the Transylvanian historical castles. After nationalization, nothing left of the castle’s furniture, carpets and art collections disappeared. Inside, the building underwent some transformations, served as a school, later an orphanage.The Mureş County Council carried out recovery works to prevent the condition of the building from getting worse.On the list of monuments in Romania it appears under the nr. MS-II-a-A-16073 

Learn more

Kornis-Rákóczi-Bethlen Castle - Iernut

In the 14th-16th centuries, on the site of the current castle in Iernut was the mansion and later a fortress of the Bogati family. The amplification of the castle, designed and initiated by Simion Pecsi, Chancellor of Prince Gabriel Bethlen, was carried out between 1626 and 1629 by the prince. Its Italian architect, Giacomo Resti da Verna, has integrated the existing buildings into a larger project with four corner bastions. The construction was completed between 1649-1656, during the reign of George Rakoczi II.After the fall of the principality, the castle was returned to Count Chancellor Gabriel Bethlen in 1758, but was lost in a card game gamble by an unworthy descendant in 1885.The castle and the area were transformed by the Roman Catholic Status from Transylvania into an agricultural school. A high school with this profile functioned in the building and in the decades after the nationalization of ecclesiastical assets.Source: Kovács András: Iernut - Castle. Ed. Kriterion, Cluj-Napoca, 2013.

Learn more

Degenfeld Castle in Cuci

The first known owner of the estate was the Pekry family. Pekry Lőrinc converted to Catholicism and in 1692 received the title of count. The Kuruc general Pekry died in 1709. His wife, Petrőczy Kata Szidónia, is considered to be the first Hungarian baroque poetess. After Pekry's death, for the next almost a hundred years, the estate was inherited by women: Pekry's daughter, Pekry Polixénia, married Daniel István. Daniel Polixénia was born from this marriage. Through her marriage to Baron Wesselényi István, the estate became Wesselényi’s property. Their daughter, Mária, married Count Teleki Ádám, and the estate became the property of the Teleki family. With the marriage of Teleki Anna to count Degenfeld Schonburg Miksa in 1800, the estate became the property of the Degenfeld family and is one of the oldest estates of the family in Transylvania.However, the Degenfeld family lived mainly in Ardusat. After the death of  Degenfeld Miksa, the estate was inherited by his oldest son, Ottó, who lived in Szirák (Hungary). After 1849, Degenfeld Lajos, the younger son of Ottó, became the heir of the estate. At the beginning of the 20th. century, Degenfeld Lakos carried out some modernization work, and in 1907 he built two side wings for the old castle (probably built in the early 19th century). He then gave the property to his son, Kristóf, who became the founder of the Cuci branch of the family. After nationalization, the castle was used as a town hall, doctor's office and library. It became again the property of the Degenfeld family in 2010.Today, the castle functions as a cultural center. Guided tours are regularly organised in the castle, and visitors can see exhibitions dedicated to the family history, an exhibition dedicated to the first female representative of the Hungarian Baroque literature, Petrőczy Kata Szidónia or they can try their luck in an escape room. The building can be visited on weekends by prior appointment by phone or e-mail.Phone 0720416784E-mail: procastellumdegenfeld@outlook.com

Learn more

Máriaffi Castle - Sângeorgiu de Mureș

On the top of Sângeorgiu de Mureș commune, in a beautiful setting, lies the two-storey castle of the Máriaffy family, built in 1870.

Learn more

Pekry-Radák Castle - Ozd

The first thing that greets the traveler when arriving to the village of Ozd is Pekry-Radák Castle, a rectangular castle with bastions in the corners, built in Renaissance style with Baroque (and Gothic) elements, located on a ridge above the village.

Learn more

Barabássy Manor - Idrifaia

The most prestigious inhabitant of the village of Idrifaia was, without a doubt, Barabássy Lénárd, vice-voivode of Transylvania and sub-prefect of the Szeklers. In 1508 he built his manor house in Idrifaia, which ,according to some historians, was the first Renaissance building in Transylvania. In 1686 Barabássy's manor came into the possession of the Bethlen family of Ictar, who in 1745 renovated the baroque building, expanded it, then in 1803 modernized it, adding terracotta stoves and a carved fountain in the garden.

Learn more

Daniel Castle - Găneșt

According to historical sources, the owner of the 19th-century Neoclassical castle, Dániel Mihály, was a descendant of the Armenian Dániel family in Gherla, and the castle and estate were probably bought by him. In 1949, at the time of the nationalization of the property, Dániel Mihály's son was the second owner.

Learn more

This website uses cookies

We use cookies to improve functionality and performance. Please accept them for a better use of the page. Read more: Privacy Policy

background-image-for-checkout-overlay